Friday, June 28, 2013

FO: The Bonny Knit Ensemble

I've been dying to create this outfit ever since Steph announced the Bonny Knit top as one of Cake Patterns' Riffs.

Lucy, my beagle, approves.
I initially thought of making a dress, but then I decided to make the top with a matching skirt, so I can wear them together as a faux dress, or separately with other stuff. I like wearing it with my denim Hummingbird skirt, for example:

There will be a post later chronicling the trials and tribulations I faced with my various Hummingbird garments.

It also looks pretty smashing with my new 23Skidoos, hmm? I'll have to get some in action shots of this fabulous outfit when I go dancing at my lindy exchange this weekend (this is why my hair is all nice and curled- I'm waiting on my ride to go to the exchange as I'm writing this). I love the sailor collar, but let me tell you, it was a bitch getting all those ribbons sewn on straight. I also had some difficulties figuring out how to finish the neckline. I wish Steph had included a diagram for just that part of the instructions because I had a heck of a time puzzling out what she was getting at..


Now let's talk about my pocket.


I was inspired by the chevron patches on the sailor uniforms back when I performed in South Pacific. Here's an example of one that I found on etsy:


I was also inspired by some of the nautical wartime fashions from back in the 40s:


I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to achieve my dream pocket, so I cut out two pieces of fabric and appliquéd more ribbon onto one of the pieces. I then sewed them together and turned them right side out, folded the flat top over and sewed it in place, and then sewed the patch pocket onto the skirt. It turned out pretty nicely, I think. The skirt itself is a simple circle skirt and I used Steph's knit waistband tutorial for the waist. I used some super sturdy waistband elastic, and it fits perfectly and wears wonderfully with a belt.

So yes, I am super excited to go dancing in this faux-dress. Now if only my ride would arrive...

Here, have another picture of Lucy and I posing:







11 comments:

  1. Ooooooh I love your Bonny faux-dress! I haven't even taken proper pics of my Bonny yet, but I agree, the ribbons are the most time-consuming part. They have to be just right though! :) Really nice work in this, you look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to get some dance pictures in this!

      Delete
  2. I love this! So adorable! The sailor look is one of my favorites and you pulled it off perfectly. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've wanted a sailor outfit for a while now and this just fits the bill perfectly. I feel like any woman who loves and sews vintage needs at least one nautical outfit given how persistant the trend has been since WWI.

      Delete
  3. This outfit is super cute! I really like the pocket, I'm glad it worked out well. And the sailor collar is totally cute and worth the work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute look. I love how the chevron pocket ties in the stripes from the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Merry. The matching skirt looks wonderful and I really love your pocket detail. The outfit just rocks. Plus looks cute with your Hummingbird too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your whole 1940's look! Great idea to make the outfit as separates and the shoes are adorable. Beagles are the best - my beagle was my best buddy growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! You should make a pair of matching shorts... I have the pattern too and thought I would make a version without the collar but seeing yours, I'm really tempted to try it out. Maybe I can make some sort of playsuit? Thanks for the inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's super adorable! I like it with the matching skirt the best. And super adorable puppy doggie :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love nautical style! Your faux dress is so cute! And I love your beagle :)

    ReplyDelete