On the other hand, I kind of cringe at myself for doing mostly sponsored stuff through the summer simply because I haven't had much time to do anything else. I think after I finish out this round of projects for MC (network members sign up for three months at a time), I'll take a break from them for a while and see what happens in terms of the personal sewing that I'm able to get done. I've strayed from the cosplay-inspired stuff I used to do more often and the vintage-inspired stuff I sew for swing dancing, and I'd like to do more of that again, especially with NCComicCon and Lindy Focus both approaching. I'll still do the occasional pattern testing and review for the Collective, but I'm going to attempt to refocus on my personal sewing.
Anyway, I've lusted over the Papercut Patterns' Rigel Bomber for aaaaages and have had visions of a version with faux leather accents since when the pattern first came out.
And lolll of course my hair ends up covering the key parts of the jacket in one of the few good pictures I got. My photography plans for this fell through so I ended up having to coerce one of my family members to take some pictures for me.
Anyway, I envisioned a plaid bomber jacket with black faux leather at the shoulders and the pocket welts, and I think I achieved that pretty well. The fabric I used was a midweight poly/viscose blend suiting, poly ribbing, and a stretch faux leather.
I was super careful with the plaid placement and I cut everything out in single layers. The sleeves don't quite match up, but other than that, I was able to make the plaid placement symmetrical across the front and back, as well as making it match up along the side seams and across the front.
It's a little off on the back, but I don't think it's glaringly obvious. Moreso one of those things that you notice only if you're actively looking at it.
This was my first time sewing in a separating zipper, and I think that turned out really well. The pattern instructions were nice and clear.
These were also the second pocket welts that I've ever sewn and I think they turned out pretty decent (or better than my first welts, at least). They aren't perfect, but I can live with them, especially as I was working with faux leather that doesn't really press. This faux leather was perfect for garment sewing- it's nice and soft on the reverse!- and it stretches so I think I may use the scraps in some leggings in the future, but it certainly wasn't the easiest fabric to use for pocket welts.
The one thing about this pattern is that it's unlined. All over the internet, the makers of the various versions that I've seen drafted linings for their respective versions, but I decided not to because a) I don't feel comfortable with my skills for drafting that sort of thing well, and b) I need more midweight jackets (it doesn't get super cold here in NC) and I was concerned that a lining would make this jacket too warm. The jacket did end up being the perfect weight for what I wanted, but I agree with what other people have said about this pattern- the insides with the welts do look a little messy without a lining to cover them up.
Some changes I would make for future versions of this- it may have been that my ribbing wasn't as stretchy as what the pattern was intended for, but I feel like the ribbing at the wrists and at the waist wasn't long enough. Next time, I think I will cut a straight large (for this version I cut a large at the bust and waist and tapered to the XL at the hips), but but cut the XL length of ribbing.